March 06, 2014

Split goes Indonesian


Split, the biggest city in Dalmatia, I visit once in a while, but only when I need special things.
For tourists it's a "must see", for me however, 
not being a tourist, it's that big city I only visit for Bauhaus, Lidl, Konzum or Kaufland.
Of course there are many shops in Omis, our nearest town, but once every week or so I drive to Split.
The reason I don't go more often is simple, 
I don't like crowded big cities.

Next Saturday however I must (!!) go, 
as then there is the yearly food fair.
Normally I even avoid that fair (I've seen enough fairs in my professional life), but this time I MUST GO.

The reason is simple, I love good food, 
and even more, I love cooking (and know how to). 
Italian, Indian, Indonesian, Turkish, and any other kitchen that inspires me to prepare dishes I love 
(and our friends too :-).

Indonesian food however, is one of my favourites.
Because the Netherlands once "owned" Indonesia, there is a strong link to the Indonesian kitchen, as many people coming back home when Indonesia became independent, found it's way to the Dutch 
and their dishes.
Even in our navy there is a tradition to weekly prepare an Indonesian meal.

So, as there is this food fair, with next saturday a representation of Indonesian food and culture 
(dances and such), I must (!!!) go.
The focus will be on a dish called saté (satai), which is prepared of marinated meat (chicken, pork, goat), grilled on wooden sticks over a small wood fire.

The variety is immense, 
even the sauces it can be served with.
One basic ingredient however is used to marinate almost always, and that is ketjap (soy sauce), dark brown and made of fermented soy beans.
Thin like water in Japan, thick as syrup in Indonesia, and even then there are loads of differences, 
going from sweet to salty.
Properly grilled, saté is delicious, served many times with a sauce made of ketjap, peanuts, garlic and a couple of spices, including ginger.

Saté, remember that word, as I wouldn't be surprised if after the hamburger, saté is coming to Dalmatia.
It's simple, it's grilled, it's very tasty, 
and the variety goes far beyond that of hamburgers, cheeseburgers and the like.
Served with boiled rice, French fries or a slice of bread to dip in the sauce, some fresh cucumber and a king's meal is ready to take a firm bite.

With all superior ingredients we've got here, 
no doubt Dalmatia will go Indonesian.
Saté will do the trick.
Dobar tek, slamat makan, enjoy your meal.

I simply must !!! go to Split next Saturday, 
if you know what I mean.

So what did I say:

!!! SATÉ !!!

!

PS.
Was there, saw all stands, and again was a bit disappointed 
about the level of this fair.
About 50% is of the bazaar type, direct sales, one can see every week on the market in Zadvarje (tuesday's)
selling sausages and bacon, oil and cheese.

If looking for interesting presentations, 
better go to Metro in Dugopolje near Split.
At least they were on the fair with a stand full of goodies, nót for direkt sale, but to show the possibilities of creating something else for true cooks (so not for pizza heaters).

And about the saté that was served, well, to be honest, 
I prepare better !
So Sajam Gast (the name of the fair), you won't see me again.